Monday, August 21, 2017
Alexandria, Virginia
Last P-day, we went traipsing around all over town in search for jelly shoes. It's been raining here nonstop since I arrived (which I am just so happy about). (Sister Morin is not.) And my shoes just don't dry fast enough! I asked President, and Crocs are simply not missionary appropriate. So, on with the jellies! We went to about ten billion stores in search of them. And then we found them in the kid section at Walmart. And they fit. I now have jellies. But then that night, after we successfully purchased the jellies (I love jellies), we went to dinner at Brother C's house. He's an older gentleman who lives alone, so we had to bring a woman with us. We ended up bringing S*, who is the best. She's a less-active member who was baptized about 20 years ago because she had a crush on the missionary who taught her. Anyway, Brother C* made us a six-course meal, and by the 4th course, my tummy was calling out for sweet salvation. Not only was I full, but this specific course featured massive amounts of tomatoes. But I choked them down. Until I couldn't do it anymore, so Sister Morin leaned over when Brother C* went to the kitchen and stuffed as many tomatoes as she could in her mouth. She takes care of me. And then we had yummy snickerdoodle cake for dessert. Brother C* and I talked the whole time about old actors and actresses, and I loved it! I felt like someone actually spoke my language. He said the next time I come over, we'll discuss more. We're going over for Sister Morin's birthday in a few weeks as he is making her a special meal with a special cake. He's so cute.
![]() |
| Alexandria, Virginia |
On Tuesday, we had interviews with President Huntsman. He was so awesome. I love my Mission President. He knows how much I love the rain, so he told me about the mushrooms that are always springing up around here whenever it rains. Right after my interview, we went in search of some mushrooms so that I could see them, and we found some. Yay! Ah, the tender mercies. I got your packages on Tuesday, too! Thanks for sending them to me! They made me so, so happy when I got them. The Greenie box was adorable and delicious, and I love the blanket. It made me feel comfortable. So, thank you. That night, we went over to finish teaching F* the new member lessons, and I* was there (her daughter). She has been under a lot of stress. Her car was just broken into and the insurance won't cover the cost for repairs, there was a huge flood in Sierra Leone and she is still waiting to hear if her family is okay, and her wedding is in a couple of days. So, we asked a few priesthood holders to come over and give her a blessing. It was so great. You could feel the Spirit washing over all of us, and the blessing was so personal and perfect. The brother who gave her the blessing didn't know her at all, and that's what made it so special. You could tell that the blessing came from Heavenly Father.
We had District Meeting on Wednesday, and I got to practice the piano again! Blessings! After lunch that day, we skedaddled over to C*'s apartment where her son, G*, was practicing the viola. He is uber talented at it. Seriously. He has been asked to play with a bunch of famous people, apparently. G* has actually met and played with the Piano Guys, so yeah. He's legit. But every time we ask if he'll play for us, he just says no. So C* told us the time that he practices ,and we went over and sat outside their door like a creeper and listened to him. Then we wheedled and pleaded with him to play an actual song. Apparently, the Lord was with us because G* did. We weren't allowed in the apartment, so he stood outside on their balcony and we sat in the street like homeless people, and he graciously played a song. It was lovely.
We did service at M*'s on Thursday. One of her family members just passed away, so we went over to help cut up fruit for the funeral. It was a lot of fun. The girls have become accustomed to me going over, so they don't cry whenever they see me anymore. But their dog hates my guts. Punk dog. We had Chinese food for dinner because the lady feeding us wasn't able to make it, so she ordered us some food. It was delicious. It was a good day. We had lots of laughs.
We went to the Family History Center with A* again on Friday morning. He's so cute, trying to put his names in the computer. I walked in on an old naked lady in the bathroom. I have been scarred for life. All she said was "Wow. This is a horrible way to start the day." and I was like "You're telling me!" Anyway, I'm all better now, but I have to knock before I enter any room. We had weekly planning all day, so there was nothing too thrilling about that. That night, we went over to say goodbye to the B* family. They're moving out of the ward, and Sister Morin loves them lots. Sister Morin has been in this area for over seven months now, so she knows everyone. After we said goodbye, we went over to S*'s house for nachos. She's so cute. She came to church on Sunday and was upset because no one signs up to feed us on weekends, so she did. And we talked a lot about repentance. She has some issues with it, but we were able to bear our testimonies on it. Some of the things we shared with her made her cry, which made us cry. Her cats weren't crying. Then we moved all her furniture and helped her lay down a rug. Service!
![]() |
| Another Twin sighting in Virginia. |
Saturday, we had Ward Coordination meeting, and it was fun. They gave us cookies! Yummy, yummy cookies. Then we were upset because we had made plans to meet a less-active member, G*, for lunch and help the F* family move at the same time that afternoon. So, we were double booked. And then, in a strange turn of events, we ended up cancelling on both of them on accident. So we were pretty free that afternoon. So we went to M*'s to try to get her and the girls to church the next day. And she said she would! She was adamant that she was going to be there! So I believed her. We even got her a ride.
Sunday, surprise, surprise! M* wasn't at church. I was pretty bummed out. But apparently that happens a lot on a mission, and I have to get used to it. Or so says Sister Morin. She also said that it's illegal to kidnap someone even if we're kidnapping them to bring them to church and to help bring them closer to salvation. Bummer. We did get to go into primary, though! We taught about the importance of keeping the Sabbath Day holy. I miss my primary kids! While we were at church, my name tag was not. So I had to use Sister Morin's extra one that she slides onto her white handbook. I'm grateful for sharing.
![]() |
| Sister Morin & "Sister Morin" |
There are these W's everywhere that look like the W for Walgreens. I have been seeing them all over, and I was super confused because I didn't think that Walgreens had paraphernalia. Turns out, they don't. It's a W for the Washington Nationals! They should have a "Washington D.C. South Mission 101: What You Need to Know" because I would pay for that. I just walked around like an idiot, wondering why everyone loved Walgreens so much. *sigh*
![]() |
| Walgreens |
![]() |
| Washington Nationals |
Today, we got smoothies, and I was blinded by the sun. Sister Craig, our mission nurse, sent out a mass email to the missionaries saying that we weren't supposed to look at the sun without the special glasses they give you, and I should have listened. I may be blinded for life.
Anyway, I love you all. I miss you all. Sister Morin is making me do all the contacting tonight. It just shows how much I love her because I only laughed in her face once when she suggested it....one slight guffaw.
Love,
Me
PS, Here are photos with sweet families in our area.
PPS, I wrote Jesus with glow sticks.






No comments:
Post a Comment