Friday, March 2, 2018

Virginia Is for Lovers!

Monday, February 19, 2018
Burke, Virginia

Happy Valentine's Day week! 

Guess what? Sister Koch and I are both staying in Burke another transfer! 

We are at the church and emailing from our tablets because the libraries are closed for Presidents Day. Fun! 

We had a hoppin' week! We have FHE at our Bishop's house every week, so last Monday, we were there. Our ticket to attend is an investigator, and we have managed to bring one every time! Blessings! O* came with us. It was fun. 
 
Tropical Smoothie Cafe
 

On Tuesday, we went to District Meeting, and it was so much fun! I love our district. They're the best. We have a senior couple, the Parkers, in our district as a support and they are probably the cutest in the world. We snapped some classy pictures (which I will have to find a way to attach. I'm apparently handicapped when it comes to technology), and then the Parkers took us out to lunch because they were coming over to do apartment inspections anyway. They're so cute. Then we went out to the Mission Office and saw the senior couples, and it was thrilling. We had to fill out some accident reports. Elder Nielson gave me his favorite pen because I like pens. He also said that if we ever needed service hours, we could come and help him with some filing. Yay! That night, we went to the Huntsman's for dinner, and they got us some Chick-Fil-A, and it was yummy. Everyone was there, but by the end of dinner, people had dispersed to soccer practices and meetings, so we just got pictures with Sister Huntsman and M*. They're the best! 
 
Sad District Picture

Happy District Picture

Lunch with the Parkers

With Sister Huntsman & M*
 
On Wednesday, we had our Book of Mormon Book Club with the members, and it was so much fun! There were so many great insights and comments about it. We're happy that it's become a success! Then we delivered about 10,000 cookies for Valentine's Day to members and investigators. Then we had a lesson with P* and taught him the Gospel of Jesus Christ while we were standing outside of Ross. It was awesome. Anyway, while we were talking with him, a guy came up to us and just kind of stood right next to me, and I looked over at him and he said, "Don't mind me. I'm just wondering what you're talking about." So, of course, we started to teach him about the church. He started asking questions, so I taught him while Sister Koch finished out lesson with P*. Little did I realize what I was getting into. My very first Bible-bashing experience, ladies and gentlemen! And let me tell you, it was an excellent practice in patience. I didn't feel like I couldn't answer his questions, just that he wasn't listening to me and my brilliant insights into the doctrine of Mormonism and my deep, existential observations about the church and its teachings. But then we left and went to see O*, and he just looked at us and said, "So, when can I be baptized?" Which was so awesome because he said that the only thing that was holding him back was his family and that he needed a sign. But we set a date for March 10th with him, and he is just so prepared. 
 
Baptism Calendar for O*


Our Valentine's present from M*
 
On Saturday, we went to a baptism and brought P* along. He had some really great fellowshipping (apparently there are more Spanish speakers in the ward than I had originally thought), and he said that he would like to do be baptized like she was! He has some problems with drinking and actually coming to church, so we're going to have to push his date a little bit. Which is totally fine! 
 
Wearing Pants!
Picking up McDonald's for someone.
 
So, yesterday, we had a New and Returning Member Fireside (NARMF), and we're only allowed to go if we have an investigator, a recent convert, or a less-active member with us. The Huntsmans were going to give us a ride because they are in our ward and had to go anyway. As we were on our way to their house, O* cancelled on us, and we couldn't find anyone else to go with us last minute, so we went to the Huntsman's and told them. Sister Huntsman really wanted us to go even though we didn't have anyone, but we were all like, "Nah. We need to find a new 'gator." We didn't want to break the rules-especially when we're serving in President's ward. While they were pulling out of their driveway to go, President rolled down his window and said, "Sister Huntsman wants to see you there, so you better be there." ...okay. If you insist! Anyway, so we got to go, and it was thrilling. It's the most amazing night of the entire transfer! 
 
Koch in the snow!

Kleven in the snow!
 
Anyway, I love it here! Being a missionary is the best! 

I have to send pictures in a separate email. Technology is stupid. 

Love,
Sister Missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment