Tuesday, May 1, 2018

I Would Walk 500 Miles

Monday, April 30, 2018
Burke, Virginia

Alright, alright, alright! What a delightful week to be a missionary. For those who aren't, my condolences. 

Sister Merritt & Sister Kleven

Adorable, happy companions blowing dandelion fluff.

First off, A* is getting baptized on May 5th. We had a lesson with him and talked to him about getting baptized on April 28th. Turns out, it wouldn't work out, and he thought it would be best to push the date back. So we did. And everything is fine. He came to church yesterday and he wore a native drew from Nigeria. It was beautiful, and I asked where I could score one of those. He said that I can order one on Amazon. Sounds about right. But then last night we had his baptismal interview, and he passed, and it was wonderful, and now we're getting a baptism ready for this Saturday! When we were in a lesson with A* this week, we were talking about names with him, and he said that in Cameroon, no one has a "first" name or "last" name. They just have names. He has four names and said that he gets confused all the time when he has to fill out paperwork. I didn't understand his frustration until I had to fill out his baptismal record and neither of us knew what his first name was. Hmmm. I hope we did it right. His father has the same name twice.  Why do we do things differently here in America?  He's so cute.  He came to church and to his baptismal interview with his Law of Chastity pamphlet that we gave him.  Just to be prepared, you know. 

Sister Merritt, Sister Kleven, and A*.
Yesterday, we went to the Family History Hangout with the youth, and it was delightful.  We got to index for a little while and hung out with the kid who had to go because he wasn't old enough to stay home alone and his whole family came.  We bonded because we were intellectually the same age.  He's 8.  Nonetheless, it was fun.
Merritt, Kleven, and friends at the FHH.

FHH gang.
Man, we walked about 50 miles this week.  You would think that I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. 
Beautiful trees we saw when we were walking 500 miles.



Just kidding.  Of course I am.  But it was a lot of walking.  I feel mighty and like I would walk 500 miles. And I would walk 500 more.  Just to be the missionary who walks 100 miles to show up at your door. Speaking of apostate music, Kiss by Prince started playing in the store today, and my heart just started beating along to the music.  Tender mercies are real.

The homeless man next to me just burped in his sleep.

We had exchanges this week with the STLs, and I got to go to Lincolnia for the day.  It was so much fun to be back in the city again!  Also, their area borders Alexandria 3rd (my last area), and Sister Wayment got lost, so we ended up driving all around A3!  Isn't that wonderful?  I knew exactly where we were, and the nostalgia hit me pretty hard.  We even went into the library where I used to go, and I saw a lot of people I know.  That may sound pretty lame, but I was on the verge of tears.  It. Was. Beautiful.  Again - tender mercies from the Lord!

We got to go on exchanges with a Laurel in the ward.  It just reminded me how cool I hope to be but how cool I will never be.  I made her listen to Songs for a Mormon Child.  I guess it turned out good because her mom texted me after we dropped her off and thanked me for making her sit through it because she would be polite to me.  Hm.  I don't know if that's a good thing or not.  I'll go with good. 
Sharing the Word of the Lord with our friend, Brother P*.
I don't remember what we did this week, but I know that the Lord is watching over me.  And my companions.  And those around me.  I was reading through a conference talk from this last session.  It's entitled, "He That Shall Endure unto the End, the Same Shall Be Saved" by Elder Claudio D. Zivic.  At the close of his address, he says: "Life is different for each of us. We all have a time of trials, a time for happiness, a time for making decisions, a time for overcoming obstacles, and a time for taking advantage of opportunities. Whatever our personal situations may be, I testify that our Heavenly Father is constantly saying, 'I love you. I sustain you. I am with you. Do not give up. Repent and endure in the path that I have shown you. And I assure you that we will see each other again in our celestial home.'”

I love you lots! Keep up the good work.

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment