Monday, May 20, 2018
Burke, Virginia
Things are hoppin' here in Burke!
![]() |
| Waiting out the storm with the S* family during FHE. |
So, to start off on a happy note, our downstairs neighbor is psychotic. Just kidding. That's not happy. Last
week, on Monday night, we went to bed and did our journal writing and
scripture reading and all that fun missionary stuff from the comfort of
our beds so that we wouldn't walk and incur the wrath of our buddy
downstairs. Well, it didn't work. You see, apparently he could hear us
breathing, so he decided that he needed to bang on the ceiling with a
hard object every twenty minutes from 3:30 am to 6:30 am.
We counted, and he aggressively made sure we weren't able to sleep NINE
times. Needless to say, I was a little grumpy when my alarm went off
that morning. We talked to the senior couple over housing, and they said
they would talk to the leasing office and potentially have us moved.
I'll keep you posted.
Good
news, though! That morning, we got up and got ready and went to "Train
the Trainer." It was good. I learned lots. Although, when President was
in the middle of bearing his testimony to us about the importance of
being a good example so that the Spirit can be with us, my alarm went
off SUPER loudly and it started playing "Through Heaven's Eyes" when Jethro (or Brian Stokes Mitchell) is singing his little chanty thing around the fire. I thought it was the person sitting next to me, so I
was a little bit miffed. I was like "Dude. President is speaking." But
then I realized it was, in fact, coming from my tablet, and that it was
my responsibility to end the loud interruption. Everyone just looked at
me. *facepalm* Sorry, President! I promise that this slight mishap does
not reflect my ability to train! (It's a good thing that Sister Merritt
is training with me, or I don't know how I would do it. I'm not old
enough for this!)
Sister
Anderson is super excited to be a missionary! She was originally
supposed to go to Turkey, but when she was in the MTC, the missionaries
were pulled out of Turkey, so she was reassigned here temporarily! And we
get her!
![]() |
| Sister Merritt welcoming Sister Anderson to the Trio. |
![]() |
| The Trio! Kleven - Anderson - Merritt |
![]() |
| The Trio after meeting with A*. |
I wonder what they clean
these keyboards with. I do not want diseases. There is a
sticky-fingered baby in a stroller next to me, and we keep making awkward
eye contact. We keep catching the other one looking and then quickly
look away. I'm pretty casual at it, though. I've got some sweet
skills.
We've done a lot of work
with the members this past week. One of the sisters in the ward just
got surgery, and she hasn't been able to clean her house for a while, so
she asked us to help her with that. We got to wear pants and play in her
ball pit for a second. How cool is that? Speaking of, remind me to
invest when I come home. Incredibly therapeutic. But man, she has the
best story ever. Probably the strongest and bravest person ever. Also,
she has the cutest 3-year-old down-syndrome son that I just want to
cuddle. They have a much greater capacity to love than the rest of us.
Isn't that just special?
![]() |
| This picture is special, too. |
We
had a Bring-Your-Friend-to-Church Day yesterday, and there were a grand
total of 0 non-members there. It's okay. I know a lot of members invited
their friends and neighbors, but none could make it. We did get to go
into Primary and share a message with them, and that was enjoyable. I
miss Primary.
![]() |
| Anderson & Kleven - finding investigators and sharing The Book of Mormon. |
![]() |
| The Trio - finding investigators and sharing The Book of Mormon. |
I have
been studying more about grace recently. Isn't it a fascinating topic?
In 2 Nephi 25:23, it says: "For we labor diligently to write, to
persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and
to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are
saved, after all we can do." We know that through grace, we are saved.
Jesus Christ is the one who made it possible. I've always thought that
the "we" in "after all we can do" is talking about people in general.
I've come to the conclusion that I believe the "we" is talking about me +
Christ. After I have done everything I can do and after Christ does all
he can do, that's when we are saved. I love grace.
Whelp, I think that's all. Love you all!
Love,
Me
PS - Here are pics of people in Burke, all of whom I love:
![]() |
| At M*'s house. |
![]() |
| With M* at the home of the A* family. |









No comments:
Post a Comment