Monday, May 14, 2018
Burke, Virginia
Alrighty then... You know, we had a solid week.
We
had a finding goal of 300 new investigators by the end of the week, so
Sister Merritt and I were finding people for eons. We ended up finding
13 new investigators. And for Burke, that's awesome! Burke is not all
that densely populated and when you've already talked with pretty much
everyone, it's slightly difficult. But the Lord was with us this week!
Sister
Merritt and I received a phone call from President Huntsman on Friday, and he told us that a sister had been reassigned from Turkey to come
here, and that he wanted us both to train her! We will be in a trio! I
never thought I was going to be in a trio. And that scares me a little
bit. Also, I'm sorry for the new sister coming out. Having to deal with
both of us will probably not be her favorite pastime. Oh well. Sacrifice
brings for the blessings of heaven, no?
When
we left our apartment on Tuesday, our car, Darryl, was gone and the
road was freshly paved. I just said "DARRYL! THIS IS NOT FUNNY! COME
OUT NOW!" Needless to say, it was not successful. We went to the
office to ask them what happened to our car, and they gave us the number
to the tow company and told us that some were towed and some were
relocated. We called the Elders, and they were nice enough to give us a
ride to District Meeting. Afterwards, we went on a hunt to find Darryl ,
and after walking about a billion miles (Not really. It was just down
the street. But it was hot.), we found our lil' buddy behind a dumpster.
Man, I was so happy to see him there because the Spirit would not have
been conducive with the thoughts going through my head had he been
towed. Thanks, Heavenly Father!
There
is a youth sitting next to me working on his homework. He is writing a paper entitled: "Victories for the White Western
Womanhood." I would like to read it and brush up on my knowledge. What
are those specific victories? Who knows? This youth, apparently. He
keeps sighing, and his shoulders are all droopy. What a sad, strange,
little man.
We put our
investigator, G*, on date this week! We have had a couple lessons
with him, and he is progressing quite nicely. When we went to his house
for a lesson, he told us to teach his neighbor and then took us over to
his neighbor's house. Turns out, his neighbor lives in a creepy shed in
someone's backyard, and we had to trek through the wilderness to get
there. It may have been worth the allergies and the mosquito bites if
his friend was happy to see us. He wasn't.
There
was an activity with the youth, and it was blind volleyball. I thought
they were going to blindfold the youngins and throw them to the wolves
(Or other youths trying to play volleyball. It's interchangeable.), but
that's not what it was. Their eyes were uncovered, but the net had a
couple tarps draped over it. But boy, oh, boy, am I ever so happy I was
privy to the sight of them playing volleyball. I was asked why I wasn't
playing, and I simply pleaded my case of "Sister Missionary wearing a
skirt is not conducive to volleyball playing." And that's true. To a
point. But you would know the real reason if you have ever seen me play
any sport ever (example: basketball). The ball is simply not my friend. I
probably would have jumped in and embarrassed myself if the other team
hadn't been hidden by a giant covering. We got Popsicles, so the night
was deemed a success.
We
went over to A*'s apartment for a lesson, and his sister answered
the door. She was delightful company! A* was chillin' on the
balcony, and when he came inside, I was helping make Cameroonian (....?)
food. Some of it, I wouldn't try again. But it was fun to see his
reaction at finding the missionaries in his kitchen. We taught the
Restoration and made his sister a new investigator, too. Fun stuff!
I've
stumbled upon the force of the adversary. We were walking and talking
and being missionaries, when I saw it: ALLERGIES. They were swarming
throughout the air. Some nice men were doing yard work and blowing those
allergies all around. The giant force was coming our way, so Sister
Merritt and I dove for cover. Then it started to rain, so Satan's cunning
plan was dissipated. Thanks again, Heavenly Father!
I
was reading in the scriptures this morning and read the Psalm of Nephi in 2 Nephi 4:15-35. It's such a great testimony builder. Isn't his trust in
the Lord magnificent? In verse 20. he says, "My
God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in
the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great
deep." It just makes me realize how often the Lord has "preserved" and
been my support. Especially now that I'm on a mission.
I seriously can't remember anything of import that happened this week. Forgive the Sister Kleven brain. Nothing can be done.
I
realize that even though I said nothing happened, I seem to have made
this as long and boring as possible. If you've made it this far,
congratulations.
See ya!
Sister Kleven

No comments:
Post a Comment