Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Do do do doo do do, do do do do dododo, do do do do... I'm Singing and Dancing in the Rain

Monday, September 24, 2018
Burke & Fairfax, Virginia

I could never sing it quite like Gene can, but I'm aspiring to be able to twirl my umbrella in the same fashion he does as he's singing and dancing whilst it's dumping buckets. I don't have background music, and my companions always seem to get embarrassed, so there are a few hindrances to my aspiration. But, I do have the rain. There is no shortage of water falling from the skies. My hair is just growing bigger and bigger as the days go by. 

New District picture.

We had someone we're teaching come to church on Sunday! He's actually the friend of one of the youth in the ward, but he said that he would like to learn more. We were able to give him a Book of Mormon and explain what it was about. We just sent him off to the youth class when we went to Gospel Principles, but I think he handles it well. The teachers he had were awesome. 

We tried to get our buddy, L*, so come as well. Did I talk about him last time? I can't remember if I did. I have missionary brain. (I'm not really sure what that means, but people say it all the time. I just want to be cool!) He is from Vietnam and is 75 years old. One of the recent converts that I was able to teach here is his roommate, so there's a built-in translator. It's so cool to see someone I taught the lessons to turn around and teach the lessons to another. I just keep thinking "Hey! That's how I explained it! He really was listening!" Anyway, L* wants to know more about Jesus and be baptized before he dies. He works on Sundays, so we're hoping he can alter his schedule a little bit so that he can come to church! We're meeting with him on Wednesday to talk about it more and hopefully put him on date to be baptized. 

Service!

There's a new ASL program in the mission and President has just opened an ASL area! It currently only has elders, but I'm hoping it will soon change. I've been practicing my ASL skills. I have very few, and my vocabulary is quite limited, but I've been spelling out the words that I hear in sign. I haven't seen much progress, but I aspire to be in the ASL program one day. Whether it's in the next 4 months or later in life, I plan on it happening. 

A little boy in the next aisle is getting in trouble for making his sister cry.  He just said, "I didn't smash her finger! I smashed her hand!" Well, at least he's honest. I thought it was funny. 

We have very few miles for the rest of the transfer (we can go about 8 miles each day to make sure we stay under the designated limit), so we have been walking everywhere. But it's kind of dangerous because we live right on the corner of two main roads, and they are both 45 mph.  And, one of the roads doesn't have a sidewalk, so we try not to walk across that one.  Anyway, none of the members this week have given us dessert, and I've been kind of bugged about it. I mean, I'm finally walking all day, and now they aren't giving me sugar to work off.  How rude. 

I've been really sad this week.  You know why?  Because it's not Christmastime yet.  I mean, we only have a couple more months until the joy of the Christmas season, but I wouldn't be opposed if it came early this year.  I miss Christmas.  

We sang Lead, Kindly Light in church yesterday, and I had forgotten how wonderful those lyrics were.  It just stood out to me, so I thought I would share them here. It probably stands out because, as the song says, I am far from home. But, I love the imagery about the light. We know that Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. He is the perfect example for us to follow, and as long as we follow the Light, we will eventually find our way home.


Lead, kindly Light, amid th' encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene--one step enough for me.

That's all, folks!

Love,
Me

PS: Two more families I love:


No comments:

Post a Comment