Monday, October 9, 2017
Alexandria, Virginia
Guess what? 3 months! Ah!
Also, the fire alarm is going off in our
building again. This is the seventh time since I got here. We may have
to evacuate, so this could be a short one!
We were walking on Tuesday,
and it turns out there is a huge prison right down the street from
where we live. It's hidden behind a plethora of trees. Invisible to
the naked eye, but Sister Morin and I saw it. We're so glad that we
have that knowledge. Also, we went to dinner with C*! We were
supposed to go with Sister C*, but she ended up being too busy, so she
asked if C* could feed us, and she said yes! We were so excited. We got to share the First Vision with her over our delicious Chipotle
dinner, and she was really responsive. Also, she is simply the coolest
person ever. That's all. After dinner, we had a lesson with C*.
And it went so, so well!! We love teaching C*, and we are so excited
for his decision to be baptized. His baptism date is November 11th,
and we are working hard to be able to teach him everything within our
timeframe! He has the most amazing questions ever. He told us that
he facetimes his girlfriend in Ohio, and they read The Book of Mormon
every night, and he writes down questions that he has every time they
read. It's the best. A few weeks ago, I was able to explain the
symbolism in Lehi's Dream, and I could just feel the Spirit in everything
that I said. And then that night, we were on our way back to the
apartment when the District Leader called us and asked us to pick them
up and drive them home. They had gotten to the other side of their area
and would have had to walk for two hours before getting to their
apartment. So we went to "safe" them.
![]() |
| With C*, who will be baptized November 11th. |
We had District Meeting on Wednesday,
and I forgot my name tag again. I just need to get enough to put on
all of my shirts and dresses when they come out of the dryer so it
already has it on there. I've forgotten my name tag way more times than
the normal missionary does. It's concerning. What if I forget who I
am? I don't just have a name tag that I can look at and think "Hm. I'm
Sister Kleven". Plus, Sister Morin refuses to let me write on her
forehead to remember my name tag before leaving the apartment. *sigh*
But that night, we went to the B*'s house for dinner, and taught them a
lesson. It was nice. And guess what happened?? We got new Area Books!! (That is not excitement, by the way. I've been very cranky-poopy
since the switch. Seriously, though. One of my weekly goals is to learn
to love the new change. A goal that I am trying very, very hard to
accomplish.)
![]() |
| With the B* family. |
We found three new investigators on Thursday! We were being led by the Spirit, apparently....that's all.
A*
agreed to be the first speaker at the New and Returning Member
Fireside!!! We are flippin' excited for it! It's this Sunday, so Sister
Morin and I are going to meet with A* this week and help him write
his talk for it. He's planning on going back to Ghana to be with his
family by the end of this year, though. He hasn't seen his family for
ten years, and he's always, always asking us to pray for them. Also, we
had to try to plan on our new Area Book app today. We ended up laying
down towels on our balcony and bringing provisions outside with us so
that we wouldn't perish or go crazy from being inside all day.
We
got to meet a new promising investigator that some Elders reassigned to
us! Her name is N*, and she is the sweetest. She has two young
kids, and her mom is a member. She said that she needs to take her time
before she takes the step of getting baptized, so we're working with her
slowly. Then that night, we went to the church building because an
investigator was supposed to meet us there for a lesson. We walked in ,
and there were tons of people in costumes, and there was loud music, and
people were grooving on the dance floor. When I walked in, I just said
"It's a crazy, dancing bear!", and then I laughed because I'm funny, but
then I was sad because it reminded me of my childhood when Lucy wants to
learn the Jitterbug. Turns out, it was just a wedding reception with
the theme of "Adventure is Out There!" The groom was dressed as the Mad
Hatter, and the bride was Peter Pan. Also, our investigator didn't end
up coming, but we got cake, so it was okay.
![]() |
| The delightfully lovely Sister Morin. |
Yesterday,
C* was at church. And guess who else came??? M* and the
girls came to church!! We've been trying to get them there for months
now! They haven't been to church in over 7 months. We were so, so
excited. I think I disrupted Sacrament Meeting because I glanced behind
me and saw them and shouted "M*'s here!", and then Sister Morin
looked back and shouted "M*'s here!". We weren't very good
examples to all of the children in the congregation, but we were
excited. Then that night we had dinner with the P*s. They remind me
of Becky and Michael and their kids. It was awesome being in their home
because it was like being with family!
![]() |
| The P*s, who remind me of the Hanks. |
Being a missionary is slowly but surely growing on me. Like the lil' orphan Annie says, "I think I'm gonna like it here."
I love you guys.
Love,
Me




No comments:
Post a Comment