Friday, January 5, 2018

New Cars Stink!

January 1, 2018
Alexandria, Virginia

I have no recollection as to what happened over the last couple of weeks.  

I'm pretty sure that I'm being transferred from here.  President was kind enough to give me a heads-up so that I wouldn't panic.  Too much.  (Ha! Too late!)

It's been freezing and I've been dying a little bit everyday, but I'm still here!  Apparently, the air freezes when it gets really cold.  Were you all familiar with that concept?  Because I was not! 

Last week, we had dinner with the G* family, and they made a delicious pumpkin chili over rice and I just about died.  Because it was so good, not because I had to politely cram it down my throat.  They also made a cheesecake that they sent home with us because they knew that it was one of my favorites.  I told them that I was most likely leaving, so they gave me a Wonder Woman poster that says, "Little but Fierce" on it (they love Wonder Woman) and told me to keep in touch.  I LOVE THEM.  I included one last picture with them.  *sniffle* But it's all good.  I will love the people no matter where I go.  
 
The G* Family
 
Also, we got a new car, and it's horrible.  It's a 2017 Chevy Malibu, and I don't like it one bit.  It's far too nice and clean and new.  I miss the 2013 Subaru Legacy that had dents and scratches and smelled like a bunch of missionaries in there!  This new one has a push start and I don't trust it.  I didn't trust it as soon as I got behind the wheel.  And let me tell you, the lack of trust did not go unfounded!  Because we pulled up outside of N*'s apartment Saturday night for a lesson, and as soon as I pressed the button to turn off the car, it just broke down and didn't detect that there was a remote.  So , the car wouldn't turn on because it couldn't tell that the stupid fob/remote thing was in the car!  Did that happen in the Subaru?  No.  It did not.  Anyway, we had to call the car coordinator over to where we were to help rescue us.  I know how to change a tire just fine, but I have no idea how to... I don't even know!  Charge the thing?  Whatever.  After sitting in the car for a few minutes and freezing to death (because I'm living in the frigid north, apparently), we knocked on N*'s door, and she graciously let us seek refuge inside her apartment.  We had planned to go over and talk to her about baptism, but we didn't that night, because of obvious reasons.  Anyway, the car coordinator ended up coming, and when he got there, the car was fine and the key remote to the car worked, and everything was hunky dory.  Which was a blessing, but I just wanted to say, "I promise!  There was something actually wrong with the car!  I'm not an idiot! Seriously!  All you have to do is push a button to get the car working!"  I felt really bad about it, but then I started to think about why it happened.  (I was actually kind of irked.)  We came to the conclusion that we weren't supposed to talk to N* about baptism that night, and that it was simply divine intervention. 

Anyway, then we saw her again last night, and before we went in, we said a prayer.  And during the prayer, Sister Hansen got the impression to, when we left that night, invite her to read Alma 32 and to sincerely pray about it.  So, we decided to do that.  When we went in, we read 3 Nephi 11 with her, the chapter where Jesus Christ comes to the Americas and meets the Nephites one by one, invites them to touch his hands and his feet, and teaches them about His gospel.  And part of His gospel is baptism.  We invited her to be baptized, and she said that she just wasn't absolutely sure about it yet and that she was waiting to know.  She said that she wanted to have faith and wanted to believe.  I was feeling the Spirit so strong in the lesson, and I felt like I should testify to her that she would receive an answer to her prayers by the next time we met with her if she read the chapter and prayed about it.  I told her, "With the authority given to me as a representative of Jesus Christ and as a missionary, I promise you that you will know that these things are true."  You could tell that she was feeling the Spirit and promised that she would do what we invited her to do.  She also said that she would bring us Cafe Rio next Saturday.  After the lesson, we prayed for her again to have the courage and the faith to follow through with her promises, and I got the prompting that we should fast for her. So, we will be fasting for her tomorrow.  And then this morning, I sat down and read through Alma 32 so I would be more familiar with it.  It answers so many of her questions.  I have always loved that chapter, but seeing it in a different way has really strengthened my testimony.  There are a couple verses that really stuck out to me, and they are Alma 32:17-18 and verse 27.  

Anyway, I love my mission!  

Love,
Me
 
Here are a few photos of me saying goodbye to our Subaru Legacy. You can tell Sister Hansen and I felt very differently about it!
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment