Monday, February 12, 2018

"Jesus Is the Light of the World!"

Monday, February 12, 2018
Burke, Virginia

Holy frijoles, this week went by fast.  It was also a pretty good week, too. 

We had exchanges this week with the Clifton Sister Training Leaders, and that was simply delightful! I led out the area with Sister Jackman, and we had a really great day.  It started off with District Meeting, and then we went to do some service for a member.  She needed help hanging things on the wall.  Lucky she called us because I'm an excellent wall-hanger.  While I was stretching on my tippy-toes to reach the nail, I accidentally bumped the hammer we were using (more like a sledge-hammer -- it was flippin' huge) and it fell off the table and landed perfectly on my big toe.  I was close to loudly using some choice words, but I didn't because I am a representative of Jesus Christ.  When the member saw it, she just went, "Yeah.  You're going to lose that toenail."  And I just went, "*whimper*".  I suppose it was just the forces of the adversary trying to cripple me so that I wouldn't be able to walk around and spread the gospel.  Anyway, afterwards, we had a lesson with P*, our homeless friend, and taught him the Restoration.  It went really well, and we ended up putting him on date for baptism!  He's on date for March 10th!  (He smelled quite strongly of alcohol, so we're going to try to squeeze the Word of Wisdom into our next lesson with him.)  And then while we were shaking his hand as we were leaving, he leaned over and planted a kiss on the top of Sister Jackman's head.  It was hilarious.  She was slightly startled, but I was laughing so flippin' hard.  Poor, poor Sister Jackman.  That night, we had a lesson with one of our investigators, E*, and we had asked him if we could do anything for him before we met with him.  He said that we could bring him some Burger King because he hadn't eaten all day.  Hmmm.  Because I am an exceptionally nice person, I did get him Burger King.  Anyway, on our way to his house, we were lugging around his meal, and we couldn't find where he lived.  We had accidentally put his address in wrong in Area Book, so we were wanderers for a while.  We ended up walking around for 30 minutes and were really  late for our lesson with him, but we made it!  While we were teaching him, his mom kept listening from the kitchen and yelled little comments about the things that he would say.  She refused to join us, though.  It's too bad because she was hilarious.  We have another appointment with him tonight, but we're not going to offer if we can do anything for him this time.   I can only be nice once, and then I've exceeded my limit.  
 
 
With Sister Jackman

Wearing pants with Sister Jackman
 
We had a Book of Mormon Book Club on Wednesday morning, and it was really fun!  There were only a few members who came, but there will hopefully be more of them this next week.  We're studying it with the Institute manual, and we just started.  I LOVE the Institute manual.  That afternoon, we had interviews with President Huntsman, and it was awesome.  I love that man.  We came with a promised blessing that was from our Patriarchal Blessing and talked to him about it and how we have seen it apply on our mission. Then he told us that President M. Russell Ballard called him last week and started talking about the missionaries in the Washington D.C. South Mission.  President Ballard said that he was acutely aware of  the sacrifices that President Huntsman's missionaries were making and that he was incredibly grateful for our service and the light that we bring to those that we're teaching.  Then he called President back a few hours later and said to make sure that the missionaries are told that. So, President Ballard basically said, "Sister Kleven is awesome."  I'm just super grateful that I was able to hear that message.  That night, we had a lesson with O* at the church.  We gave him a church tour and talked to him a lot about baptism.  He said that he would have to think about it, and so we gave him 2 Nephi 31 to read before we met with him next.  
 
Chinese food!
 
Nothing else too exciting happened the rest of the week. Before Saturday.  We finished our New Member lessons with H*, and that was exciting.  He's going to get manicures with us next Monday.  That will be fun! 

Anyway, on Saturday, we went to a baptism and O* came along!  It was all in Spanish, so I just sat there zoning out, but O*'s native language is Spanish, so he seemed to enjoy it.  He said that he would probably be the next one to get baptized!  We're excited about him.  Nice guy.  Then we went to meet P* at our assigned meeting place, and he never showed up.  We figured that we would never see him again because he doesn't have a home and he doesn't have a phone.  Just as we were letting that sink in, we got a call from him!  He just received a temporary phone from his friend and said that we could reach him at that number.  We set up another lesson with him tomorrow.  
 
At the park with M*.

Swinging at the park with M*.
 
Yesterday was Stake Conference, and it was quite an exciting day!  We got there , and the power was out in the entire building, so we weren't able to broadcast it to any other church. So, they told us all to go home that the power should be back on in a couple of hours, and to come back at noon.  So, we called O* (who was on his way to the Stake Center) and he said that he could come at noon instead.  So, we went home and studied for a bit and then went back to the Stake Center, where the power was still out.  We kept going with everything, though.  All the speakers just had to yell to make their voices carry to the people in the back, so that was thrilling.  But as soon as the Stake President yelled, "Jesus Christ is the Light of the World!" and held up his scriptures, the lights came back on and everything started to work.  Miracles?  I think yes!  Anyway, O* said that it was "interesting", so hopefully he'll be able to expound on that when we see him again.  
 
On splits with a Laurel from the Burke Ward
 
Anyway, I love y'all and it miss all of y'all and all that jazz. 

Kind regards,
Sister Kleven

No comments:

Post a Comment