Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Sister Kleven and the Stupid, Smelly Dead Fish Jelly Bean

Monday, March 19, 2018
Burke, Virginia


I am extremely embarrassing. Sister Koch and I were walking down the street, and we were playing the license plate game, and I would try to kick her in the bum whenever I saw a different one (I am apparently not allowed to kick for Virginia license plates.  What's up with that?).  We ended up kicking at the same time, and our legs got all tangled together, and I already have very little stability when it comes to standing, so I toppled over.  Not gracefully at all, mind you. I just yelled, "New Jers-!" and then Boom! In a pile on the ground.  After we could stop laughing enough to actually get me standing again, a guy came out of his house to see if I was okay. Apparently, there were a bunch of people who saw me completely biff it. *sigh* The life of a missionary, I suppose.
At Burke Lake

Beautiful Burke Lake

Two thumbs up for Burke Lake!
We had an awesome week!  It was busy, so that was great.  Yesterday was a crazy day.  We had no time to do anything but go from appointment to appointment.  We started it off with Ward Council, church, lunch at a member's home, getting kicked out of the basketball game we played with their kids because I was so awful, to a lesson with K*, to Gospel Principles in another ward because another one of our investigators can only go at that time, dinner, and then a Safeguards for Technology fireside that we had to help out with.  It was such an awesome day.  Our lesson with K* went so well!  We talked about baptism with her, and she said that she always feels the Spirit when we talk with her and when she reads The Book of Mormon.  She is so sweet,  but we're just not really sure how to help her with making decisions.  Her parents were pretty supportive at first, but now that she is pretty seriously investigating the church, they are starting to become more upset with what she is doing.  Hopefully we can smooth everything out and K* can make whatever decision she thinks is best for her.

In District Meeting this week, the game we had to play was "Bean Boozled", where you have to try the jelly beans and find out if they were the flavors that make you want to barf or not.  The whole time, leading up to my turn, all I could think (and chant, apparently) was "Not dead fish. Not dead fish."  And guess what flavor I got?  Dead flippin' fish, that's what!  I was so upset!  But that's okay.  I am a missionary.  And missionaries are brave. 

We had our first new member lesson with O* this week, and we taught him the Plan of Salvation!  It was awesome.  He remembers everything that we talked about before with him. It's awesome to be able to see his faith and testimony of the gospel grow.  He is so awesome. 

We've been teaching English to a couple of people, and we just got someone new to teach!  She is so cute. She served us water bottles and lifesaver mints on a tray.  It was the first time that someone has put food for me on a tray since being out here. 

We also got to do some service at the mission office this week, and I got to use the giant paper cutting machine to cut some insurance documents.  I felt so mighty.  Don't worry! I still have all my fingers. 
Cutting paper at the mission office.
We were invited to bounce on a bouncy house this week while we were walking around, and we, sadly, had to decline.  Wearing skirts, man! ...It's fine. 

One of the scriptures that I have really been focusing on this week and has made a big impact on me is in 2 Nephi 29:7-11.  It talks about how The Book of Mormon is the Word of God, and that we shouldn't be trying to dispute it, but that we should be happy that we have another record, another account, of Heavenly Father's love for us.  It's another testament of Jesus Christ.  Verse 8 says, "Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also."  It makes me think of President James E. Faust, who said, “Does God love us less than those led by the ancient prophets? Do we need his guidance and instruction less? Reason suggests that this cannot be. Does he not care? Has he lost his voice? Has he gone on a permanent vacation? Does he sleep? The unreasonableness of each of these proposals is self-evident.” I know that The Book of Mormon is the Word of God and that He loves each of us so much. He is waiting and wanting to guide and lead us.  We just need to accept His hand in our life. 

Love you all!

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment