Thursday, September 6, 2018

Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjack

Monday, September 3, 2018
Burke & Fairfax, Virginia


Sister Kleven & Sister Young performing "Abide with Me, 'Tis Eventide".
Bonus intro from Mom: To hear this beautiful hymn, click on Sister Kleven's Facebook page.

Now, back to the weekly letter from our darling sister missionary:

I was washing dishes and forgot that I had the dishwasher open, so as I turned to leave the kitchen, I tripped on the protuberance and landed gracefully on top of the plates and broke one and cracked a Tupperware. It hurt. On a good note, I now have some gnarly looking bruises that make it look like I was in a street fight. 

Doing service with the Relief Society President, which meant we got to wear pants!

We were teaching a part-member family, and the kids haven't been baptized yet. We're trying to help the dad get the priesthood so he can baptize them. We are teaching the kids the lessons a second time to help them understand, so this last week we taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was so fun because I got to tell my story about Dusty. (Picture attached next week. I seem to have deleted the picture I had. Dang.) Anyway, we also may have bribed the kids into sitting and listening to us with candy. As we were leaving, the kids were running around screaming, and the parents jokingly said "Did you give them candy for something?" And I just went "Ha...yeah...so, gotta go!" So we left. Now we have to find ways to bribe the kids without hyping them up with sugar right before bedtime. Also- the dad was able to receive the priesthood last night! It was the best feeling to be able to sustain him. He has worked so hard for this, and the kids are so excited to be baptized. 
Delivering cookies. Featuring my thumb.
In H-Mart today, there was pink Hello Kitty toilet paper. I would like to say that I resisted the temptation, but I may have purchased some rolls for the apartment.

Today, we went to the Burke Ward's Labor Day breakfast and softball game. Not to brag or anything, but I wasn't the worst player. At least that's what Bishop told me. I mean, I actually hit the ball a time or two, and I didn't have to use the little ball stand that the children use. I was afraid they were going to make me. Also, when I covered third base, I was given the biggest mitt there. They either wanted to make sure that I would catch the ball or make fun of me when the mitt would fall off my puny hand. When I was in outfield, there was a dragonfly that thought it would be funny to terrorize me. And this bug was ginormous. At least as big as the mitt. Anyways, my takeaway for the day (and I'm sure it was every one else's as well) was that I could definitely be an all star player. My objective was simply to not look like an idiot. And it worked. Somewhat. 


It was a delightfully hot week. And it was also the week that we were quite limited on miles. We brilliantly decided to walk about 10 miles one day. But it's okay because we celebrated with some pizza afterwards. Totally worth it. When we were walking, a nice man named R* pulled over and asked for our phone number. So, we gave him a pamphlet and bore testimony of the restored gospel. He had yet to call us. We'll see if he actually does. 
Hugging Sister Young when she was an armadillo.
As I was reading the best book (Enos) within the best book (The Book of Mormon),  something caught my attention. Allow me to unfold to you my ponderings: In verse 8, it says,  "And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole." I love the phrase "thy faith hath made thee whole". I looked it up in the Bible, and I could only find instances where it had only been used for physical ailments. This is the first time (that I noticed, at least. I'm sure there are more)  that he had said these words to forgive someone of their sins. It's cool that our faith can make us whole as long as we are sincerely repenting of our sins and trying to become better. 

Love, 
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment