Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Feliz Navidad!

Monday, December 3, 2018
Oakton, Virginia


With Sister Caplin

I spent a whole 24 hours as a Hermana this last week.  I learned no Spanish.  In fact, some of the Spanish in my head was deleted because I heard how you actually are supposed to say things, and I was not saying anything correctly. The Hermana that I was with said that I had a good accent, but I'm not entirely sure she was telling the truth. I think I sounded French. It was a great exchange, though! We got to teach lots of people, and I got to try some authentic Mexican cuisine at some lady's home! I don't remember what it's called, but it sure was cheesy and delicious.  



Exchanges with Hermana Mendoza
Yesterday, J* didn't come to church, so we hunted him down at his apartment.  We had to tell him that he couldn't be baptized when we had planned because of his court case, and he was sad.  So, we read the Book of Mormon with him to cheer him up.  He is just so spiritual and ready to be baptized.  He is from Sierra Leone, so when we were there, he said his mom was cooking in the kitchen and asked if we wanted something to eat. Well, it was Fast Sunday and no one had signed up to feed us, so we said: "Yes, please!"  I thought I was going to have some food from Sierra Leone and have one of their cultural dishes under my belt, but then he brought out some dinosaur chicken nuggets. There wasn't even a dipping sauce. I was slightly disappointed, but they were scrumptious, nonetheless.

I promise this whole email will not revolve around food.  

Exchanges with Sister Wood

In Sacrament meeting yesterday, somebody said something about the roles of the Holy Ghost in their life.  They mentioned that the Spirit was both a teacher and a revelator. When I heard that, I had to stop and think for a second.  What's the difference?  They both tell and show you things that you don't understand.  But then I realized that the teacher tells you things that are for the world. Things that everyone knows or could know - a worldly knowledge.  A revelator tells you things that are only for you.  Things that only you would find useful and things that are specific to your own situation - personal revelation.  I thought it was cool that they are so close and are almost the same thing, but there is also such a distinct difference.  It's so important that we have the Holy Ghost in our lives to fulfill both of those roles and many more.  I love the Holy Ghost!! 

Missionaries -- Sight & Sound
I gotta go, but it was a good week and I love you all! 

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment