Monday, December 17, 2018
Reston, Virginia
Delightful week, everyone! Can you believe that Christmas is only next week? I can't!
![]() |
| Saying goodbye to Sister Bagley |
![]() |
| Sister Bagley feeling a little bit trunky! |
It's slightly warmer today, so that's a bummer. I mean, I love not shivering to death on people's doorsteps, but this time of year, people expect it to be freezing cold. I did not expect 50-degree weather! But it's fine. I've been assured that it will, in fact, get colder. All I'm doing is dreaming of a white Christmas!
![]() |
| Sister Perschon & I delivering mail (gifts) to the missionaries in our area. We are Santa. |
Sister Perschon (my new comp in Reston) and I been having a great time teaching people and helping lots of people understand the gospel. I forgot how much I love family wards and teaching people as a family. I also don't mind having a nice, home-cooked meal with a big family on Sunday nights. It just has a good feel to it, ya know?
![]() |
| Sister Perschon & I sharing the gospel with everyone in a community book box. |
To help spread the Christmas cheer, we tried to go to downtown Reston and hand out free hot chocolate (with Light the World pass along cards), but everyone was cranky. (We had to steal a plastic chair from the church, but it only got a little bit wet from the rain, and we put it back where we found it.) Man! We were swore at a lot. I kept trying to tell the people who I was with that "the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!" They either didn't believe me or simply didn't want to, because we didn't actually sing. Anyway, after quite a few rejections and one acceptance, security came over with their giant yellow umbrella and told us to leave. I gave him a cup of hot chocolate, and then we packed everything up and left. We didn't let that deter us, though! So, we went to a local grocery store and set up camp there. After trying to be nice to people and spread the love of Christmas, some workers told us we needed to talk to the manager. We talked with three different managers before getting the "go ahead". As we were outside and trying to hand out hot chocolate, I saw one of the members from the Wolf Trap ward that tried to run away from us! I had to yell "Hey! I know you!!" for him to stop. Apparently, he just really didn't want some cocoa. But we had a nice chat. I tell you this because he was probably the person we had the most success with. Hopefully, people will remember that we stood outside in the cold to bring warmth (literally) into their lives so that when we knock on their door at some future time, they will say, "You were nice people - I'll listen to your message." We did have fun, though! I laughed a lot and got to know the Salvation Army bell-ringer.
![]() |
| Lighting the World with Hot Chocolate & the Hermanas |
I saw the new Mormon Message this week about Samuel the Lamanite. It's called "Samuel and the Star" and I advise (or invite) you all to watch it. It's adorable and truly does bring the Christmas spirit!!
Love you all!
Sister Kleven





No comments:
Post a Comment