Friday, June 22, 2018

There Can Be Miracles When You Believe

Monday, June 18, 2018
Burke, Virginia

Morning glory and hallelujah, Commander! 

Tucking in Sister Merritt when she was ill.
This week was super cool. First of all, we went to dinner last night, and they were talking about seeing Incredibles 2, and my heart died a little bit. I didn't even know they were making it until yesterday afternoon. And then they told me that another Wreck It Ralph was being made, and that's when my heart exploded. 
With the M* and S* families.
You will be glad to hear that I finally mowed a lawn this week. It was thrilling. Not nearly as thrilling as I had hoped, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. The elders gave us a referral the other day, and the referral was asking for people to come over and do some yard work for her! We were on exchanges, so we strapped on our working boots and gloves and got to work! The yard was so overgrown, I almost got lost. I was seriously worried that I would wander in the wilderness for 40 years if I stayed there much longer. So, we got to work. It was actually a lot of fun. But G* (referral) came out to bring us water and to chat with us for a little bit. We ended up teaching her the Restoration, giving her a Book of Mormon, committing her to come to a baptism on Saturday and church on Sunday, and putting her on date for her own baptism in July! It was so cool! G* was so excited to hear about The Book of Mormon and about how Jesus Christ visited the Americas. She said that it makes sense because of how much Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love each and every one of us. 

Exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders

 We were able to go to a baptism with her on Saturday night so she could see what it was like, and she loved it! The baptism was actually in Spanish (G* speaks Spanish), so I could pretty much only understand when they said "Jesus Christ" and "Amen." But that's okay because the Spirit spoke to my understanding. I would just nod when it sounded like they said something prophetic and laugh when everyone else did. It didn't fool anyone, though. Maybe I nodded when I wasn't supposed to. Anyway, the baptism went really great. G* was supposed to be coming to church on Sunday, but her son was in the hospital all night the night before, so she wasn't able to make it. But she said that she definitely wants to come next week, and we have a lesson with her on Tuesday. The Lord doth bless! 
After the baptism.
We also went to a baptism because Sister Anderson is extremely talented and she needed to play the piano for it. It was so wonderful. At the end, all the Africans in the room got up and sang a song to everybody and I loved it. There was one lady who just belted it all out and held nothing back. It was my favorite thing.  
Saying goodbye to M*, who is moving.

More happy-sad goodbyes.
Sister Huntsman found us the other day and told us about the heat advisory over the next couple of days. Great. I love those. 
Introducing Sister Anderson to IHOP.
Our downstairs neighbor duct-taped a note on our door that said that he was moving in two weeks because we have literally driven him insane. He also called us to repentance. I was slightly bitter about said note, but my dear companions were more sympathetic, so we put cookies on his doorstep as a peace offering. When we came back to the apartment that night, they were back on our doorstep with a note on it that said "No." Hm. Do you think he liked them? 
Companions holding hands.  In the car.
We had dinner with President and Sister Huntsman last Monday, and it was so great. They are so great. We asked them about any advice they would have for us as missionaries and just people in general, and, by the end, everyone was a little moist in the eyeballs. Sister Huntsman said that she never wants us to think anything bad about ourselves ever again. We are children of God and we have incredible worth. She said she just wants us to all know how much we are loved. President told us to just keep going. He said that everyone here deserves a chance to hear the message of the restored gospel and that if we don't talk to them, we are denying them that chance. Do not deny them that chance. He said that all we can do is control what we say and how we act, but he told us to do good with what we can control. I love them so much. They are simply fantastic human beings. 
President & Sister Huntsman.  I love them.
Whelp, next week, we will all know what is happening at transfers! 
Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment