Sunday, August 26, 2018

God Is Bigger Than the Boogeyman! He's Bigger Than My Fright as I Teach Relief Society!

Monday, August 13, 2018
Burke & Fairfax, Virginia


Alright! There has been a slight change in...well, everything. I am still in Burke, I got my cute new companion (Sister Young), but I am still covering Fairfax, too. You see, Sister Anderson's companion didn't show up. So, now we are in a trio and living life until the companion we've ordered for her comes in. Or until next transfer. We're not all that sure what will happen. But let me tell you - walking into church yesterday and saying "Hi" to all the people I had previously said "Bye" to was thrilling. I love watching people do a double-take, and then I always have to say "Heh...yep! I guess you just can't get rid of me! Also, this is Sister Young". I probably said that about 10 billion times. Sister Young is from Sandy, Utah. She's awesome. 
The new Trio: Kleven, Young, & Anderson

I had to teach in Gospel Essentials and in Relief Society yesterday. It was nerve-wracking. You would think that three weeks notice would be plenty of time to prepare, but I apparently procrastinate. Who knew? RS was a nice lesson on Elder Zivic's talk this last session of General Conference. It all went smoothly even though, as I was writing on the board, I realized I had neglected to remove my pajama shorts, and that I was still wearing them under my dress. I don't remember putting them back on after I showered, but we had to leave early, so I can't be expected to remember everything I did this morning. Sister Nielson from the mission office came to support me as I taught it. I love that lady. 

On our first Sunday together.

We were visiting some members, and they wanted to sing a song with us. Because we're missionaries and were righteous, I chose a hymn. It was "Oh, Come All Ye Faithful." Sister Anderson was not very supportive of my choice. I miss Christmas. Here are pics with that lucky family:




Also, I think my toe is broken. 
We were checking on a less-active member this week, and as we were walking down the street, we passed by some Jehovah's Witnesses, and (because I'm annoyingly oblivious to everything going on around me) I tried to give them a pamphlet. Only after they rejected my kind offering and told me who they were did I realize how obvious it was. After a super awkward "Keep on preaching the good word!" from me (Yes, I know. I'm embarrassing. Poor Sister Young!), we started walking to the same door. I quickly became even more awkward. Maybe I should come with a disclaimer. 
First District Meeting - Transfer 9
S* told me that I would be a good CIA agent because it wouldn't be hard to leave everything behind. He's under the impression that the only thing I would need to leave behind is Utah. Wasn't all that impressed when I told him I was from Las Vegas. Cute little man. 
I'm in the process of renaming their family dog "Kleven."
Something I've started doing to help further the work of the Lord is share a scripture on a person's doorstep. Crazy, right? What makes it cool is that people don't even need to open the door to hear my message. And that is the little miracle called "RING" doorbells. We have been cautioned to act like representatives of Christ, even if no one is around because we could potentially be filmed. So, when we scurry on up to a door and knock (...or ring), I just say "Wow! What a spiritually fulfilling morning of studies, companion of mine! Shall I tell you about them?" And then I whip out my Book of Mormon and read a verse and say "And I just hope these people open the door so we can share it with them!" And then we inevitably leave because no one has been impressed. 
Yet. But I know that RING is picking up what I'm putting down. So, I continue even today. 

Love you all!
Me
PS: More awesome pics from this week:
A signed box of cereal from a member who found out how much I love it!

With the fabulous F* family!

Out to dinner with the A* & L* families.

Talking about USU with a wonderful family in the ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment